Velsheda was designed by Charles Nicholson and built by Camper & Nicholson, Gosport, in 1933 for Mr W.L. Stephenson, Owner of Woolworth chain of shops He raced here alongside the greatest names in classic yachting including “Britannia”, “Endeavour” and “Shamrock” between 1933 and 1936. In her day – around the late 1930’s, she represented the most advanced technical design for spars, rigging, sails, deck gear and ropes. Her masts were aluminium, made by bending plates and riveting them together. Sails were made from the new Terylene threads and deck gear now included winches for easier handling of sheets. The standing rigging in the 30s was solid rod.
By 1937 she was laid up in a mud berth on the Hamble and became derelict. She was rescued in 1984 and used for charter work and then fully restored to immaculate condition in 1996. More information http://www.jclassyachts.com/yacht/713
Image: Paul Wyeth